To protect your business and reputation, make sure that you:
- Have an employment contract with all of your employees that complies with the law.
- Understand the employment contracts that you have in place.
- Act in accordance with the terms of the employment contracts or seek to renegotiate the terms of the employment contract with the employee, before terminating an employee’s employment or changing their work conditions.
- Have comprehensive workplace policies and procedures in place.
- Put systems in place to ensure that workplace policies and procedures are acted on and monitored.
- Consider using other commercial agreements, such as, contracts of insurance and independent contractor agreements (if legally applicable) to reduce the risk associated with being an employer.